A Jolly Week in Year 2!

Friday 8th December | 1 comment
12

English

This week we have read the story ‘The Jolly Postman’. We have retold the story in order and have also written a diary entry for the postman’s day. We learned how to use the possessive apostrophe e.g. the giant’s castle, and tried to include a range of conjunctions to extend sentences. Today we imagined that the postman had another letter to deliver to the three little pigs which the children then wrote. We had a focus on using questions. They did a fantastic job! Here are a few examples:

Dear Little Pigs,

I have recently heard that you are building your houses. Would you like me to help you? I am an expert at rebuilding houses. I can build houses out of anything except from titanium. Once I built a house for the BFG. It took me a year to build because it was so big!

Dear Little Pigs,

I walked past your house and I saw that your house was blown down. Would you like me to build it back up again? I have some bricks in my yard. They are very strong. Would you like some? I have cement too to stick it together.

Dear Little Pigs,

I saw a big bad wolf. He was planning to get you so I wanted to say that I can help you. I can make you a strong brick house. What colour would you like your house to be and what kind of house do you want it to be? It can be anything you want, but make it strong otherwise he will eat you!

Maths

In maths this week we have been interpreting tally charts, pictograms and block graphs. We made our own block graphs to show how many of each colour skittle was in a mini packet. We wrote true or false statements about our data. e.g. True or false? There are 3 more yellow skittles than green.

Topic

We have continued our learning on the polar regions, this week focusing on animals. We sorted the animals into whether they live in the Arctic or Antarctica. We read some interesting information about polar bears and penguins.

Thank you for your party money contributions. We are looking forward to making our party treats next week. Also thank you for the nativity costumes. These need to be in school on Monday if you haven’t already sent them in.

Have a lovely weekend.

The Year 2 Team

One response to “A Jolly Week in Year 2!”

1. Carolyn (Emily and Leah's mum) says:

What fantastic sentences. Skittle counting sounds like fun too.