Another ‘scrumdidillyumptious’ week in 2F!

Sunday 14th June | 3 comments
0

Can you guess which author we are all enjoying? Which book are you reading? Don’t forget you can post a book review on our Extreme Reading Page…

We have continued to be inspired by Roald Dahl’s amazing book, ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.’ Did you know that originally more children won Golden Tickets and visited the factory? We read the missing chapter, ‘Spotty Powder,’ and discovered the character Miranda Piker. We also ventured into the Fudge Room and  read the chapter discovering the characters Tommy Troutbeck and Wilbur Rice.

Click the image of the Fudge Room to link to the chapter, as it was printed in The Guardian in 2014.

Quentin Blake Charlie main illo

The children have created their own characters who are going to be the lucky winners of a sixth ticket. They have also been sketching and painting their own special setting in the factory for their character to visit. We even added sugary and chocolate details to our settings with cake decorations!

In Maths, we continued to work on subtraction, as when we had been working on problem solving in the context of shopping for sweets, we found working out change to be the trickiest part of the problems. A little extra practice has helped us to improve our skills. If you go shopping, see if your child can work out the change you need to receive from the shop keeper.

This week’s Special Mentions went to two girls, who all year, have been the very best they can be, in everything that we have done together. Well done!

Two more Mathletics Gold Certificates were awarded and the Mathlete of the week, achieved an amazing 8000+ points! Well done to you all. 🙂

Next week will be another exciting week as we begin to write our own stories about our characters and their adventures in the Chocolate Factory. If you’re in the Ukulele Club, you might like to do some extra practice, ready for our session at the Sleep Over next Saturday. Click onto the Sing and Strum page for a link to the Purple Mash booklet with the words and chords. There will also be some fun activities in the North Nature Centre for everyone to enjoy.

3 responses to “Another ‘scrumdidillyumptious’ week in 2F!”

1. Phoebe's Mum. says:

I loved Roald Dahl books when I was younger too. I didn’t know that there were originally more children in the book – or that in the first draft Charlie visited the chocolate factory with his Mum. Thanks for sharing.

2. Ruby is really enjoying learning all about Roald Dahl and has told me a lot about what you have learnt about his first drafts of Charlie and the chocolate factory. It has helped her to learn that sometimes we have to have a few goes at something before we get it right but perseverance is worth it. Well done 2F for all your brilliant work.

3. Mrs Monaghan says:

WOW! What fabulous work, 2F! It’s great to see you all reading Roald Dahl, Charlie in the Chocolate factory was my favourite book when I was young – I read it until my book fell apart! However, I learned something new from your blog post – I didn’t know that originally there were more characters and more golden tickets! I think that if I were to invent a new character, it would be a girl (just to make it even – 3 boys and 3 girls…) and she would be called Prunella Pickles and she would have a nose like a pickled onion and smell vaguely of garlic.

Your pictures look fantastic – but have they REALLY got chocolate on them? Could you LICK them, like the lickable wallpaper in the factory? It seems like Mrs Fisher is making your classroom a VERY exciting place to be. I can’t wait to hear what next week brings!

Mrs Monaghan @ A Room with a View