Busy bees in Year 2 !

Saturday 19th September | 7 comments
0

This week Year 2 have been very busy bees learning all about bees! The children can name the parts of the honey bee and also sequence the bee’s life cycle. On Wednesday we had a fabulous session when Nicole and Sue came to visit us. They look after the bee hive at Farsley Farfield and even brought in some honey from these bees for us to try. Some of the children tried on bee keeping suites and everyone learned about the waggle dance!

Nicole also sent me this link to an amazing time lapse video of bees hatching. For the video, the wax coating on the top of the cell has been removed so that they could film inside the cell.

Next week the children are going to be baking some delicious honey biscuits and we will be using some of the honey that has been produced by the bees that live on our school grounds. The children will also be working on creating a logo for this special honey.

A letter has been sent home inviting parents, carers and family members to a special Coffee Morning in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. We will be serving tea and coffee and the specially baked honey biscuits. If you would like to join us, please return your slip or speak to any member of the Year 2 team. It will be a very special event.

Last week 21 children achieved their Bronze Mathletics Certificates. The Mathletics Club starts this Tuesday, so we are hoping that next week we will have even more children achieving a certificate. The Mathlete of the week was Umayr in 2C, who achieved 6,468 points; a brilliant score. I have set all the children in Year 3 a couple of challenges which they will see when they log on. When the challenges are complete they will be able to play games on the rest of the site.

Learning Logs have been sent home. Please complete the Home / School Agreement in the front of the logs. For their first challenge the children have been asked to choose their favourite animal and find out all about it. In addition to the Learning Log task, we do encourage children to read daily and aim to achieve a weekly Mathletics Certificate.

We have started our Phonics and Handwriting Sessions and these take place straight after lunch, each day from Monday to Thursday. This week we have focused on the days of the week and also writing numbers. We will continue to work on the spelling of numbers at the beginning of next week, as this will also support their Maths work. Click on the link below to link to games using the numbers to twenty. (At the bottom of the word list, click the green button for the games)

Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 10.33.10 Here is a link to games for practising the spellings of multiples of ten.

A Spelling / Handwriting book will be sent home next week with the numbers in for the children to practise at home.

Here are this week’s Special Mention children. They have all been challenging themselves and working extremely hard in all  our lessons.  The fourth Special Mention child was off on Friday, so we will feature her next week. Well done to you all. 🙂

Next week is another busy week. After School Clubs start, with Mathletics on Tuesdays, Bike club on Thursdays and Ukulele on Fridays. There is a Reading Workshop after school on Tuesday and from Wednesday the Book Fair will be open before and after school. Our Macmillan Coffee Morning is on Friday. Please also return slips for the trip to Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which is the following week. Parent volunteers for the trip would be very much appreciated.

Have a wonderful weekend. From all the Year 2 team.

7 responses to “Busy bees in Year 2 !”

1. Laura's mum says:

Laura really enjoyed learning all about the bees too. She showed me the waggle dance and she was very proud of herself for trying the honey… She actually liked it.

2. Jenny Scott says:

What an incredibly busy week you’ve had Year Two! Those bee suits looked fantastic! Looking forward to hearing all your news next week.

3. Katie NW's Dad says:

I need someone to show me the waggle dance…..Katie won’t show me as she thinks I will do it all the time

4. Katie NW's Mum says:

How exciting to be bee keepers!
    Katies Great Grandad was a bee keeper but Katies Grandma is allergic to bees.
    Looks like you have all had fun

5. Lewis' mum says:

Wow what a busy week year two . I would love for you to teach my the waggle dance!

6. Kate Park says:

Sounds like a wonderful week, I will be ask Finn for a demonstration of the waggle dance !

7. Adele Bowden says:

Wow what a busy week in yr2 you have had! Sally enjoyed learning all about the bee’s and had fun showing me the waggle dance. She is looking forward to starting after school clubs next week especially learning the ukulele.