Gruffalos, books, costumes and so much more!

Saturday 7th March | 6 comments
0

It’s been such a busy week; I can already feel that this will be a long blog post!

In Literacy this week we have continued to enjoy stories written by Julia Donaldson. Inspired by the Gruffalo the children created clay Gruffalos and wrote newspaper reports on Purplemash about a sighting of the Gruffalo in the Conservation Area!

Creating Clay Gruffalos

We also enjoyed reading the story of The Highway Rat and the children wrote some fantastic wanted posters about him.

Thursday was World Book Day and the children came in such an amazing array of creative costumes. It was almost impossible to choose the winning costume but as Evie had helped her mum by making the bird in her costume herself, the prize went to Evie for her Nanny McPhee costume. During the day the children enjoyed visiting Mrs Galbraith and Mrs Fulton and doing hearing some pirate stories and doing some interesting pirate activities. During the day, I shared the book, 10 little pirates with the children from RC and IS and they created some lovely pirate boat collages. 2F did a more challenging task and created origami boats, each with 10 little pirates on them. We finally laid them across the carpet and discovered how many pirates were in the fleet! Ask you child how many there were!

If you would like to have a go at making the boats, here is a video that shows you how.

On Friday every class in KS1 visited the library. Many thanks to the parents who joined us on our walk and helped to make it a very enjoyable outing. The children really enjoyed listening to Claire the librarian reading them Superworm, another brilliant Julia Donaldson story. They then wrote and shared book reviews before choosing a library book to bring back to school. Farsley Library is a brilliant place to visit and when you join you can borrow 20 books, for free!

In Maths we have been working on number patterns and using the = sign to balance calculations. We also revised the more than > and less then < signs. Below are links to the games we used in the lessons.

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 08.12.06Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 08.14.03

Our Phonics was Maths related too, as we learned how to write numbers. On Monday we focused on numbers to twenty. On Tuesday we did multiples of 10 and by Wednesday we were writing numbers right up to a thousand!

Our Special Mention awards went to Ollie and Nina for their brilliant writing about The Highway Rat. We have been focusing on making our writing interesting for the reader and they really thought about doing this. Our reader of the week was Charlie, who reads every night at home. Bradley and Macey achieved their Gold Mathletics awards.

We were all very sorry to say ‘Good Bye’ to Ryan who is moving to Spain. We took this class photograph and did a final circle time for him. The photo was made into a card which all the children signed for him. We hope that when he is settled in his new home, that he will comment on our blog and maybe even join the ukulele club again by Skype!

Well done to everyone for another fantastic week.

6 responses to “Gruffalos, books, costumes and so much more!”

1. Heather's mum says:

You fit such a lot into a week at school. You must all be really busy all of the time. I’m amazed when you all still come out of class full of energy at the end of the day. Just reading about your week makes me feel tired! But what super learners you all are. The newspaper stories are fantastic, you have worked very hard on them and I looked at the Gruffalo sculptures when I came in one morning. They are brilliant, you have all managed to capture all the details of the Gruffalo from the purple prickles on his back to the poisonous wart on the end of his nose!

2. Claire Kane says:

Wow- look at how much fun you can have learning! Thank you for visiting the Library and telling me about your favourite books, I can use your reviews to inspire other children. Keep reading! 3 cheers for SuperWorm!

3. Kirsty (Nina's mum) says:

I have really enjoyed catching up on all the news with Nina by reading your blog, it sounds like alot of hard work has been done. I really enjoyed reading the Gruffalo news and the Highway Rat posters, some great descriptions from you all. Thank you for the trip to the library, it was interesting to hear about all the books you had read and how much you all love Superworm!

4. Phoebe's Mum. says:

…the ring road, the ring road… 🙂

I enjoyed joining you at the library. It was great to see you writing book reviews together. I have never read Superworm before – but 2F knew it word for word!

Good luck to Ryan and his family. Hope the move goes well and you settle in soon.

5. Mr Harris says:

Wow! What an amazingly busy week! I saw some commotion in the Conservation Area too this week but the ‘bubbling’ in the pond was just some frogs mating and producing frog spawn I think…. Thankfully, I missed the Gruffalo!

As for the Highway Rat, a parent helper told me that she had seen some rats in the hedge behind the staff room, and that is pretty close to the Ring Road…

6. Mrs Monaghan says:

What a busy week, and what a lot you have been up to! It sounds like you’ve had a great time. We also celebrated World Book Day with dressing up, a special assembly and a Skype with a local school to share stories and World Book Day costumes. We read our favourite picture books with Class 1, and we had a book quiz with book characters hidden all over the school in a special treasure hunt!
    I would like to know what Mrs Fisher dressed up as! We only have a few teachers in our school, and so our three teachers dressed up as farmers Boggis, Bunce and Bean (I wonder if you know which book they are from?) and our student helper dressed up as a fox! (That’s a big clue!)
    I am glad you are enjoying Julia Donaldson, her books are wonderful! Do you all have a favourite?
    Your friend,
    Mrs Monaghan
    A Room with a View