Report writing, problem solving and fun in 2F.

Saturday 9th May | 3 comments
0

You wouldn’t think that this week has been a 4 day week at school! We have achieved so much and everyone has worked so hard.

In Literacy we have continued writing information reports. We continued writing our Mini Beast Leaflets on Purple Mash and we’ll be using these as part of our mini beast hunts and activities at the Sleep Over. Your child can log into Purple Mash at home and show you their work and even continue to work on it or create new projects.

I then let the children decide what they would like to create reports on and most of the class chose to write about pets, while a smaller group decided to work on dinosaurs. The children worked in small groups, creating a spider-gram to help them organise the report and then writing an introduction, paragraphs about different pets (or dinosaurs) and then a conclusion. Here are the posters they created together.

Here is Madam Dragon’s tip sheet for writing brilliant reports. We have been making sure that our work would receive a Gold Star from her!

Madam Dragon tips for report writing-page-0

In Maths we have been really stretching our brain and tackling some thought provoking challenges! Can you make every amount of money using only 5p and 2p coins? (with the exception of 1p and 11p?) What would happen if we had 3ps and 5ps? How many ways could you create a chocolate box to hold 24 chocolates?

We also played a game and created factor bugs! Ask your child to show you how to draw them! This game really helped us to think about odd and even numbers and the factors that make other numbers. We also played a couple of the Maths games on Purple Mash that helped us to think about factors.

Have you noticed that we have put bird feeders and bird boxes up in the conservation area? When we went to fill up the bird feeders, it was obvious that the birds had enjoyed them! This is a really special area for the children and each class enjoys spending some quiet time here at playtimes.

This morning we are starting work on the area at the other side of the Conservation Area. We will be taking back some of the brambles, staking alder trees and preparing the ground so that we can plant a wild flower area. It will take a little while to develop and grow, but it will provide another wonderful area for wildlife and for the children to explore.

In Special Mention, 2 children received their awards from a previous week, when they both missed the assembly and then this weeks awards were both for their excellent Learning Log work and for putting in brilliant effort all week. Our Mathlete of the week achieved over 8,000 points and we also awarded another Gold Award. Well done to everyone, you’ve all really challenged yourselves and worked hard.

Enjoy your weekend. From all the 2F team 🙂

3 responses to “Report writing, problem solving and fun in 2F.”

1. Husna says:

I loved doing the posters it was amazing I learned lot of interesting facts and lots of fun facts!

2. Kirsty (Nina's Mum) says:

I have really enjoyed looking at the blog with Nina – it sounds like you have all been working really hard and I feel very informed about pets and dinosaurs! I haven’t had chance to ask Nina about the factor bugs so will look forward to finding out more. We have been putting growth mindsets into practice at home and I have been really impressed with Nina’s perserverance with a tricky piano piece and her determination to keep going!

3. Nadine (Logan & Macey's mum) says:

Wow! 2F you have certainly been busy this week. Your pet and dinosaur projects are brilliant and informative. I love doing the factor bugs with Macey what a clever idea, we have had some strange looking bugs. I am looking forward to hear if all your hard work has earned you the gold star from Madame Dragon.
    Keep up the good work 2F, well done you should all be very proud of yourselves.