This week in 2F

Saturday 22nd November | 9 comments
0

It’s been an incredibly busy 4 days!

We started the week with a half hour session on Mathletics, knowing that our blogging friends in Middleham would be playing at the same time. Our challenge was to see how high we could get on the leader board, and incredibly we managed to get to Number 1!

Our blogging buddies were busy looking to challenge us on Live Mathletics, while we were busy challenging them in a race up the leader board! Next time we’ll do the same challenge, but it was just fun to know that our friends were playing the same games too.

In Literacy we continued our work based on ‘Where the poppies now grow,’ and thought about what it must have been like for the soldiers in WWI, in the trenches.

_72309045_10679314_mary_evans_flooded_trench Click the image to link to a site we looked at.

We drew the curtains, played a soundtrack and role played being in the trenches. Then we created word webs and shared our ideas. Later in the week, the children again visited the trenches and this time we sat and wrote a soldiers diary entry. Read some of the children’s brilliant writing below.

In Maths we continued our work on Multiplication and Division, practising doubling and halving and going on to dividing by different quantities and finding the inverse multiplication to check our answers. I was really impressed with the progress we made together over the week. Don’t forget to keep practising these skills now. Mathletics and the links to the games below will help you.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 10.38.43 Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 10.37.48 Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 10.36.55

The Learning Logs have been handed back in with your work on Times Tables. It was wonderful to see all the different ways you had thought of to represent them. Here are just a few examples of work.

The next Learning Log task will go out on Monday and the challenge will be to find out information about a country, as we are about to start our next topic – ‘Wonderful World.’

As it was a Training Day on Friday, we missed Special Mention… and again it would have been a very tough decision. Everyone has really been being the best they can be. We have had a few team swaps and have new Team Leaders and Coaches. Together we renewed our class promise and everyone is really working hard to follow all the messages in the Learning Hive.

Last week’s Mathlete of the Week was Evie, with a score of over 5,000 pts. Last week we achieved 21 certificates, while this week we have achieved 27 certificates so far. It is brilliant to see everyone aiming to achieve their weekly certificates.

Well done everyone, keep being the best you can be and have a fabulous weekend. 🙂

9 responses to “This week in 2F”

1. Elanor says:

WELL DONE 2F, I am very proud!

2. Thomas says:

HI my class from last year it look’s good in your literacy about being in the trench. I bet your happy about being 1st in mathletics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. olivia says:

to 2f I have just look”t at yoru patings and they are cool did you now I hopp you have a good day and have bin good.from Olivia xxx

4. Ben says:

It looks like you have had fun in literacy doing about how it would be like to be in a trench. In 3D we have been learning about The Home Front.
    It looks like you’ll be proud of being 1st place in the hall of fame!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

5. Mrs Monaghan says:

Hello 2F!
    It was huge fun playing (or trying to play) Mathletics with you last week… even though we never met up on the leader board, we all enjoyed playing at the same time in the classroom… hopefully we will have another go soon, and Middleham will do a little bit better than last time! Well done for getting to the top of the leader board, that is really impressive.

I enjoyed reading your diaries, especially the detail about rats and lice – it must have been a very dreadful life for the soldiers and you manage to capture their thoughts and feelings really well – super work!

I am looking forward to seeing what you are getting up to this week! We have a very busy week because on Friday, we are running a market stall on our local market! We are taking part in a challenge with other schools in the area – you can read about it on our blog! We’ll let you know how we get on…

Your blogging friend,
    Mrs Monaghan

6. peterharris says:

Well done on your Mathletics achievement 2F – it is great to see you at the top of the leaderboard! I also liked reading your old WW1 letters and I thought that your times tables Learning Logs were really interesting and well presented. Learning your tables is really important and I am pleased that you are working so hard to practise them.

7. Rosie (Amelia's Mum) says:

Amelia is throwing herself into the multiplication and division which is lovely to see. I am very impressed that you are all learning how to do this in year 2! Well done 2F. 🙂

8. Claire Brennan says:

What fantastic work you have all produced, and in only four days! Well done 2F. You all deserved to have Friday off!

9. Heidi says:

What an interesting and fun week . Leah is enjoying all of her time in school and taking in lots of new information. Thank you for making her learning so much fun.