World Maths Day in Year 2

Friday 9th March | 4 comments
14

It has been a week of maths learning, starting with the staff on Monday and including our World Maths Day on Wednesday.

We had a fantastic day on Wednesday celebrating World Maths Day.

We spent the first part of the morning solving maths puzzles on the theme of African animals. Here are some of our solutions:

We then had a Mathletics Assembly with Mrs Fisher:

We were really proud of the five children who were awarded wrist bands for being in Farfield’s top ten of high scores.

We then continued our fractions work by solving this problem:

Here we are hard at work:

In the afternoon we completed our Mathletics challenges. This was great practise for learning our number facts. By year 2 we hope that most children have a really good grasp of these to enable them to make links and support their calculation. For example, if you know that 3 + 4 = 7, you can derive the answers to 30 + 40,  23 +4, 7-4 and so many more!

Finally, linked to our Africa topic, we learned about a traditional game from Kenya called Shisima. We looked at the picture of the game to try to work out the rules. Then we made our own game boards and played the game. We hope you are enjoying playing it at home!

Have a fantastic weekend!

From the Year 2 Team

4 responses to “World Maths Day in Year 2”

1. Carolyn (Emily and Leah's mum) says:

Emily has enjoyed the maths week and is very excited about getting a gold certificate one day.

2. Zoe Webb (Jack Shann's mum) says:

Jack has loved this week. He totally loves Maths. He’s even wrote on the front of his maths SATs book (I Love Maths) sk to do world Maths day instead of world book day was a huge hit for Jack. He’s also so happy to have Mrs Loveridge back he’s really missed her (although he still thinks Mrs Wilson is fab).

3. Lisa Shann says:

Jack really enjoyed World Maths Day and when he found out it was a snow day on Thursday his first response was….”can I still do Mathletics?” Great to see him so enthusiastic about maths.

4. Jane Fisher says:

Thank you so much for inviting me to come and join you on World Maths Day. It was wonderful to visit Farsley Farfield again. I have really enjoyed looking at all your maths on the blog. I love the way you are showing your understanding and the mathematical drawings you are doing. Keep being the best you can be, and I hope to come and visit you all again soon… maybe to hand out some Mathletics Gold Certificates! Best wishes from Mrs Fisher