Bar Models and multiplication.

Wednesday 11th March | 4 comments
0

Earlier in the year we learned how using Bar Models helped us to understand addition and subtraction problems. We have started to look at how they can also be used to show what is happening in multiplication problems. ( We will move on to looking at division.)

Bar Models have been introduced as part of the New Maths Curriculum, they don’t solve the problem, but they give children a method of drawing a problem which helps them to see what they are working out. As word problems become trickier, learning this skill becomes more and more important.

I shall be posting a page with fuller details about Bar Models at the weekend, but in the meantime below is a link to a resource we have been using in class.

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 06.04.52

4 responses to “Bar Models and multiplication.”

1. Leah says:

I have leaned so much Mrs Fisher.

2. Nina says:

I’ve had a lovely time sharing the blog with my mummy and Charlie! The visit from Jamyang was brilliant and in my opinion the video was awesome!I went on the bar model game, and completed all 5 levels! Oh, and a Happy Mother’s Day to you! 🙂

• janefisher says:

Thank you Nina, HAppy Mother’s Day to your Mum too and well done for playing the Bar Model game. I’m so pleased that you and your family take the time together to enjoy our blog. 🙂

3. Kirsty (Nina's mum) says:

I have really enjoyed sharing the blog with Nina today – so much to catch up on. The visit from Jamyang sounded very inspiring, I would love to find out more. Nina felt very honoured to have spent time with him – thank you for giving her the opportunity, it looked like all the children were fascinated by what he had to say.

Nina talked me through thinking blocks and showed me the game – it’s amazing how many ways there are to solve a problem! Thank you for all the time put into the blog.