Bog babies, money and habitats!

Friday 9th June | 2 comments
8

Welcome back!

We have had a very busy start to the half term and are all excited about our new topic.

Through the story Bog Baby by Jeanne Willis, we have introduced the idea of habitats.  The story is about two children who find a magical creature in the woods and take it home as a pet. Even though they thought they were taking good care of him, he actually became very ill. When they finally returned him to his natural habitat, he was able to thrive.

We have written some lovely descriptions of the bog baby’s habitat and have written a letter to a professor, explaining how to look after a bog baby. This morning we went on a bog baby hunt in our own magical woods, the Conservation Area. We were extremely lucky to find some very strange creatures! We will continue to use this idea in our English work next week.

Next week we are going to be creating our own bog babies and shelters in Art and D.T.

Maths

In Maths this week, the children have been making amounts of money using the least number of coins and we have been solving problems using money.

How many items can you buy for £1.  How much change would you get from £1?

Try using different combinations of items.  What about if you have £2 or £5?

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=PriceListsv5

Learning Log

To support the work we are doing in Geography, we would like the children to draw a map of a short journey.  The information is in their Learning Logs.

Many thanks,

Year 2 Team

2 responses to “Bog babies, money and habitats!”

1. Joanne says:

Grace has really enjoyed this topic so far x she has been explaining to me and her brother about big babies x and about the conservation area where you look for them x Welldone guys x

2. Kirsty (Charlie's mum) says:

I wish I could have looked for bog babies, it looks great. I hope you have a great time making bog babies and shelters next week – can I come?
    Thanks for the maths game link, we enjoyed adding some clothes up!