Back to the 60’s!

Friday 12th January | 2 comments
20

Historical Enquiry

This week in Year 2 we have been using different enquiry skills to learn all about the 1960’s.
A mysterious suitcase arrived this week full of artefacts. We used careful observation and thought of lots of interesting questions to work out what the artefacts were and when they were from.

Information Texts

In English this week, we have been developing our skills in using non-fiction texts. We have looked at features of information books such as contents, index and glossary and then made our own non-fiction glossary about 1960’s toys. We learned how to put words in alphabetical order.

We also looked at the features on each page such as title, sub-heading, paragraph, caption and label. We talked about the purpose of each feature e.g. A title is used to explain what the information on the page is about. It is written in large, bold print to stand out.  Can you point out these features and explain them using one of your own information books?

Subtraction

In maths this week we have been subtracting 2 digit numbers. We used tens and ones and recorded our calculations using jottings. We have practised exchanging. See below:

Use the dienes and coins TU-TU activity to practise.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=diennesandcoinsv3

We will be carrying on with addition and subtraction next week, applying these calculation skills in different ways.

2 responses to “Back to the 60’s!”

1. Ellen (Erin’s Mum) says:

Looks like a fun week. I love looking at the 60s as these were all the things I got to play with at my grandmas house when I was a little girl.

2. Carolyn (Emily and Leah's mum) says:

Emily liked looking in the suitcase and has been finding out more about the 60s from her grandparents.