Monday 11th May

Sunday 10th May | No comments yet
9

Good Morning Year 2! We hope you have had a lovely weekend.

This week we will be continuing our maths revision on addition and subtraction and we will be writing our flying stories in English. There will be lots of other activities too to keep you all busy!

Maths

We would like you to do Week 3 Lesson 4 on White Rose Maths- Add and subtract 1s. You will find the accompanying worksheet in your pack. There are additional resources, videos and games on bbc bitesize daily lessons: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z6vm6v4

https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/

The next lesson is Week 4 lesson 1. Adding and subtracting tens. Watch the video then complete the worksheet in your packs. For further resources click on the next link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zbypscw

English

Last week we asked you to plan a fizzy lifting drink flying story. Please look at the previous blog for further information.

Today we would like you start to write your story. Start by reading through your plan:

You should be ready now to write the beginning of your story. Here is an example. The beginning of the story should set the scene. Where are you? Who are you with? What are you doing? How do you find the fizzy lifting drink?

One hot, sunny day I was at the beach with my family. I was having a lovely time building a sandcastle when suddenly my spade hit something
buried in the sand.
“What’s that? ” I wondered to myself. I quickly dug at the soft, golden sand and to my surprise I pulled out an mysterious glass bottle. The bottle was a bluey-green colour. It had an ancient handwritten label stuck on the front and it had an old, brown cork stuck in the top. I couldn’t quite make out what the label said as it was so dusty from the sand. As I carefully wiped the label clean, it revealed the words: Fizzy Lifting Drink.
“How strange!” I thought, “I wonder what a fizzy lifting drink is?”

Now you have a go at writing the beginning of your story. Here are some sentence starters to help:

One sunny day
After a while
Suddenly
When I
Soon
Just then

Next you can write the build up part of your story. This should include starting to fly. Here is an example:

Slowly and carefully I pulled the old cork out of the bottle with a pop! The golden liquid inside started to fizz up to the top so I quickly put my mouth over the top and started to drink the golden liquid. It had a strange, peculiar taste – a bit like apples and strawberries. As the bubbles hit my tummy, I could feel them popping and fizzing. Suddenly, I felt very strange and light headed. At that moment, my feet started to lift off the ground and I started to hover and float in the air.

Remember to add lots of detail to describe how you feel. You should try to use all of your senses too. What does the drink look like? smell like? taste like?

Lucy’s In Lockdown

This is a brilliant ebook that you may wish to share with your children. It is a story that explores how children might feel during the current lock-down and explains that it is natural to have negative feelings. It helps children understand that many other people are feeling the same way.

Science

In science this week, we would like you to investigate which chocolate would be best to build Prince Pondicherry’s chocolate palace from: plain chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate? You may want to watch the video again from last week which talks about how each type of chocolate is made.

Here is a work sheet if you wish to record your investigation.

Spellings

The spelling pattern and rule the children are learning this week are words with the suffixes ness and ment. The children are going to learn that when adding ness to a word ending in y, the y changes into an i.

Here is an activity to help you practise this week’s spellings:

Reading Challenges

Photos from school:

Photos from home: