Monday 23rd March
Monday 23rd March | 4 comments
Good morning Year 2!
We hope you have had a lovely weekend at home. It seems very strange to be in school without you all today! We would like to keep you updated every few days via our blog so we can keep going with our learning and try to keep you busy. It would be great to see what you are doing at home too so please keep in touch with us by leaving a comment on the blog or via our email addresses.
Maths this week
We are continuing our work on fractions. Last week we learned that fractions are equal parts and looked at the fractions 1/2 and 1/4. If you missed the lessons last week or would like a recap, you can log onto https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/ There are 5 lessons on here with worksheets you can download. You may just want to watch the videos and have a go at the questions from your screen.
This week we will be learning about finding and recognising 1/3.
One third means 1 out of 3 equal parts.
Have a look at these questions:
Below there are two worksheets for finding a third. There is also a sheet with pictures to sort into 1/2, 1/4 and 1/3. Have fun!
Later in the week we will move onto finding fractions of an amount.
English this week
This week we are starting to write a non-chronological report about African animals.
Can you turn the notes into full sentences? e.g. Zebras live in the grasslands, savannahs, woodlands and mountains of Africa.
What else can you find out about Zebras?
- Read the facts on a zebra.
- Write zebra as a heading.
- Choose a fact and rewrite as a complete sentence.
- Check your sentence using the green and gold success criteria.
- Repeat for different facts to create a paragraph about your anim
CL to start every sentence.
CL for proper nouns
FS to end every sentence.
Some sentences joined with ‘and’ ‘so’
vary how sentences start
commas in lists
You could choose another animal to research and write about too!
There are lots of ways you can read whilst at home.
- Pick up your favourite book to read for enjoyment!
- Read on bug club- everyone should have a new set of challenging reads. Email class teachers if you need this updating
- Access reading comprehension materials in your SATs booklets. Also there is nothing to stop you downloading past papers now that we won’t be using them in school. We have already done the 2019 papers.
- Sign up to the oxford owl website. This is free and has lots of useful ideas. There are free e-books to read on there (a bit like bug club) all linked to colour book bands/ages.
- Joe Wicks is doing a 30 minute work out every morning on his you tube channel. This is a fun way to start the day.
- Skipping- keep practising your speed bounce and double bounce. Can you master the side swing?
Please get in touch if you need any further clarification or guidance. We will add more on later in the week. Stay safe everyone.
The Year 2 Team