Numeracy and Literacy in 2H

Friday 3rd October | 5 comments
0

This week in literacy, we have been reading the story ‘I’ll Take You Mrs Cole’.

1

In order to apply what the children had learnt last week, they wrote a description of Mrs Cole’s house. Mrs Cole’s house looks very scary! The little boy in the story thinks that Mrs Cole is mean to children and he thinks that she locks them up in her dungeon with crocodiles. If the little boy doesn’t behave for his mum, he is told that he will be taken to Mrs Cole!

4

We have also started to look at characterisation. We have discussed how important characterisation is when writing stories, as it helps a reader imagine what a character looks like. It also creates thoughts about how a character behaves and why they make certain decisions.

Mrs Cole is a very interesting character. As she is a large, messy lady with crazy hair, children are scared of her and don’t want to go to her house. However, it becomes apparent that she is a kind and friendly character who lets children come and play in her house. The children have all written some great character descriptions about Mrs Cole.

We had lots of discussions about how, as readers, we judged Mrs Cole’s character by her appearances. We discussed how we should behave towards people we don’t know.

In numeracy, we have been using the ‘Singapore Bar Method’ to help with additions and subtractions using number facts to 10, 20 and 100. The children have also been thinking about ‘fact families’, for example 4+6 = 10, 6+4 = 10, 10-6=4 and 10-4=6. We have had lots of discussions about the meaning of the symbols used in additions and subtractions and how facts families help us to think about the inverse.

Some examples of the children’s work:

Number bonds to 10.

photo 1

Number bond to 20.

photo 2

Numbers that add together to make 100.

This Model didn’t have squares marked. Some children had to estimate where the bars would be drawn.

photo

5 responses to “Numeracy and Literacy in 2H”

1. Vikki (Paiges Mum) says:

Paige loved the Mrs Cole book and his told me all about it

2. Tracy (Lucas's mum) says:

Lucas loved the picture with all the trees in he was amazed at how many you could fit on a picture.

3. Nicole (Katie's Mum) says:

Katie had a great time.

4. Phoebe's Mum says:

This sounds like a great book. My name is Mrs Cole too! I’m not a bit scary either but sometimes my hair does look crazy just like the Mrs Cole in your book!

5. Mrs Webster says:

Ollie has been telling me all about the David Hockney exhibition at Salts Mill – he really enjoyed it.