The first week of Summer in 2F!

Sunday 27th April | 1 comment
0

We’ve had a brilliant, and extremely busy, start to our Summer Term.

In Literacy the children have been working on writing character descriptions. You may remember the excellent newspaper reports they wrote about the Gruffalo, we have build upon these skills and been writing about a character from Tyrannosaurus Drip. The children have brought home Tyrannosaurus Drip’s guide to writing brilliant character descriptions and for their Learning Log work, they should chose a favourite character from a book or film and write about them. (click to enlarge the image)

Drips tips for character descriptions-page-001

Next week in Literacy we are going to be doing some non fiction ( information ) work, all about dinosaurs! I know we have some very keen dinosaur experts in the class and I’m sure that by the end of the week we will all be very knowledgable about them. At the side of the blog, there are lots of links to Dinosaur websites. Many thanks to the children who have already brought in books to share with the class.

In Maths, as well as practising our shopping skills, we also did a Maths Quiz so that I could check up which areas of our Maths learning we needed to refresh a little. I was delighted to see that most of the class had remembered most of our learning and I have planned to go back over anything that we had forgotten and then to build on what we already know. Shape work had gone a little rusty, so we revised this and improved our skills at using a ruler. Sing the song below to help you remember lots of 2D shapes and I’ve also set the shape games on Mathletics for everyone to do. (Apologies , if you can’t get this song out of your head once you have listened to it! )

My phonics group have been learning about to use apostrophes correctly and have requested a link to our favourite game of the week. They also have a challenge to find as many words as they can from ‘Tyrannosaurus Drip!’ Extra Dojo points for lists with longer words.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 07.37.17

How are your sunflowers doing? Are seedlings are shooting up! Thanks to Mr Wilson for watering them over the holidays, and Mrs Suddards and I also came in and watered them. What would have happened if they hadn’t been watered for two weeks? We also left the curtains open. Why did we do that? Next week we will hopefully be planting them outside the classroom. We have sunflowers, sweetpeas, nasturtiums and some other flowers to plant, so hopefully it will become a wonderful, colourful area and will attract bees and butterflies.  I wonder how tall the sunflowers will grow? Here they are now.

photo photo copy

Just a reminder, there is no Mathletics club this Monday. (28th April) Next week is a Bank Holiday, so the next club will be on May 12th. ( We will have our Wednesday lunchtime club)

One response to “The first week of Summer in 2F!”

1. Ruqayyah says:

Well done everybody we worked really hard making these plants.