The Paper Dolls.

Saturday 2nd March | 5 comments
0

In Literacy we are enjoying lots of wonderful books all written by the author Julia Donaldson. If you click on the Extreme Reading tab you will see that we have got lots of her books on our virtual bookshelf now and have been busy writing book reviews as comments on the page. Don’t forget to add any more books you read at home too! Now we have over a 100 comments we are aiming for 200 comments!

We looked at a new book by Julia Donaldson called ‘The Paper Dolls.’ It is a beautiful book with illustrations by Rebecca Cobb. The children in the Art Club learned how to make paper doll chains first and then they helped their teams make the dolls too. We used a strip of A3 paper and folded it in half. The we folded it again into quarters, and again into eighths. Next we drew our doll shapes making sure that at least the arms went right to the folds. Cutting was quite tricky as you have to cut through eight layers of paper. Opening out the chains was a lot of fun because you saw your row of dolls appear! Finally we coloured the dolls carefully.

We have read the story and can retell it, remembering the words that the dolls keep saying on their adventure. Now we have started to think about adventures that our dolls could have and we will write these next week – ready to publish them for World Book Day!

5 responses to “The Paper Dolls.”

1. Polly says:

I loved learning about the paper dolls.

2. 2F says:

Dear Rebecca,
    How wonderful of you to send us a comment. Yes, we have named our paper dolls and very soon we will be writing and recording our stories. We really hope you will read them! We love your website and think your illustrations are beautiful!
    Thank you from 2F

3. Rebecca Cobb says:

Dear children of Farsley Fairfield School,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed reading The Paper Dolls and have been making your own. I find them quite tricky to cut out so I am very impressed with all the paper dolls that you have made and cut out so beautifully. My favourite part is choosing what the dolls will look like and what outfits they will wear and I can see that you have enjoyed doing this too because they look fantastic! I love how all your paper doll chains are different and have individual personalities. Have you given them names? I hope that you have a lot of fun sending them on their own adventures!

Rebecca Cobb

4. Clem Pickering says:

Wow, this looks really creative and art club sounds great! It looks like a another good book from Julia Donaldson too! Clem Pickering, Parent Governor

• janefisher says:

Thank you for your comment. We will be posting some of our stories based on this book soon, so please come back and check the blog again soon. Best wishes, Mrs Fisher