Year 2 News
Friday 24th March | 2 comments
This week we have been learning lots more about African animals and have been writing our own reports.
We have included:
- Full sentences
- Correct punctuation including question marks, exclamation marks, commas and apostrophes
- Different sentence types
- Did you know that the female lions hunt the prey but that the male lions get to eat first?
- What amazing skills they have!
- Never turn your back on an elephant because if you do, they will charge.
- Zebras have black and white stripes which confuse predators when they are all running at once.
Can you identify the statement, command, exclamation and question?
The children have done an amazing job, organising their writing into paragraphs using sub-headings and then checking and editing their work.
We have been developing our skills in adding and subtracting two 2-digit numbers this week.
These are the methods we have used:
This is the step before using formal column subtraction and helps children to understand the method. We have used dienes (base 10) to demonstrate adding and subtracting the ones and tens.
Some of the children have practised addition when the ones total more than 10 and subtraction when the smallest number’s ones digit is larger than the bigger number:
Parents Evening Feedback
Thank you for your support at this week’s parents evening. Many of you asked how you could support your child at home, so with that in mind, we have provided every child with their own maths reasoning and reading comprehension practise book. You should receive these today with a supporting letter.
Have a great weekend,
The Year 2 team