World Cup fever hits Year 2!

Sunday 25th May | 17 comments
0

After the Half Term break we will be doing a topic based on the World Cup!

Here is the link to the Official Fifa World Cup site.

world-cup-2014

There are 32 countries taking part in the World Cup and we will be learning about where all these countries are and also some interesting facts about each location. Here is a list of the different groups and a map to show you where the countries are. What country do you think will win?

teams-qualified-for-world-cup-2014 2014-world-cup-groups-draw2

The 1st Match is on Thursday June 12th, between Brazil and Croatia and England play their first game on Saturday 14th June against Italy. We will be posting our own match reviews and commentaries here on the blog, along with fact files about each country. Keep checking our blog for the latest World Cup news!

We will also be reading the story ‘Foul Play Brazil’ by Tom Palmer. This book will be written as a chapter a day, starting on June 11th and will follow events as they take place in the World Cup. Click the image of Tony Palmer below to link to the website; you can read the first chapter and think about what might happen next!

Tony palmer

17 responses to “World Cup fever hits Year 2!”

1. Olivia says:

I am exitind about reeding the next chart2 and houp you are to.

2. jane Irving school says:

hi, my name is jane we call football here soccer. I love soccer.I have been playing football for four years. I am looking forward to the world cup trunamint . I think the chicago fire will win this year. have you ever played football before?

3. Liam Irving says:

My frarit sport are tenneis,socer, and baseball.What is your favrit sport?

4. ms says:

I think Belgim or porturl will win.

5. EAC says:

That sounds cool!

6. KS says:

Looks fun I hope ENGLAND win but actually BRAZIL will probably win!

7. KS says:

Looks fun I hope ENGLAND but actually BRAZIL will probably win!

8. R.K.P says:

I am realy looking forward to the world cup! i realy want porgel to win. : )

9. SS says:

I really love world cup because my favorite player’s are in internationals

10. komal says:

Hope you all have fun .

11. Ben says:

I can’t WAIT UNTIL THE FIFA WORLD CUP, I support England and if any other people like other teams I have got a book called the Big Book Of The World Cup!

I am also looking forward to the Tour de France, or if you are French Le Tour de France !!!! (-: (-: (-: (-:

12. Colm says:

I am REALLY REALY REALLY looking forward to the World Cup!!!!!!!! I am going to bring my World Cup book and trophy in, which I got awarded at my football presentation on Sunday.

My family is also looking forward to the Tour de France (Grand Depart 2014 Yorkshire). 🙂

13. Eva says:

I’m looking forward to learning about the World Cup and countries. In my opinion I think doing activities about the World Cup will be EXTRA FUN!!!!!!! I would like Spain or England to win.

14. Mrs Monaghan says:

Hello Mrs Fisher and Y2!
    How exciting that you are going to be reading Tom Palmer’s serialised story – so are we! Tom came to visit our school last summer, he used to come on holiday to Middleham when he was a boy and one of his other serialised stories is set in our town, so we invited him to come and have a special tour of our village when we wrote Town Tours last summer! We also climbed a big hill near our school with him – Pen Hill. We are following the Tour de France as it passes through our town on July 5th, but I am sure we’ll be keeping a close eye on the World Cup, too! We have a big map in our computer area and we put a flag pin in for each new country that visits our blog. Perhaps you could do that for the World Cup countries? We look forward to seeing what you get up to!
    Mrs Monaghan & Class 2 A Room with a View

15. Kate says:

We are all looking forward to the World Cup, Isla will be finding the countries on our dinning room table cover. I also love all the different flags.

16. Ruqayyah says:

I am a bit Excited to have Football as are Topic and please could I bring in a World cup book for our topic!!!